> The fact that tables are "stored by reference" is just an implementation
> detail that makes the value semantics of tables practical to implement.

I prefer to use the phrase "implementation detail"  for things that the
you don't need to know, and if you do, that you are not supposed to
rely on, like array part, hash part, the algorithms used to find table
boundaries and to sort, etc.

The fact that tables are "stored by reference" is a fundamantal part
of Lua and even the rankest newbie had better come to grips with
that very soon.