On 02-May-17 00:48, Jay Carlson wrote:
On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 6:21 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:

You're right. I sent it via Mutt but AFAIK I did not choose the charset
for encoding outgoing messages. I was counting on Gmail and others just
displaying UTF-8 correctly regardless. It did work for me with Gmail.

I fired up Gmail in Firefox, Safari, and Chrome, and I see no
difference in how Google guessed your intent correctly. I wonder at
which points Gmail does its guessing.

Jay

I encounterd a case where gmail mangled international characters because of wrong assumptions. It was in an Italian mailing list a couple of years ago and unfortunately I do not have the details anymore, but we did extensive testing and it appeared it was gmail's fault (ignoring the explicitly set charset and 'correcting' it, if I remember well).

--
  Enrico