 On 19 April 2017 at 02:53, Andrew Starks <andrew@starksfam.org> wrote:
> Has something like the idea of a Lua Foundation ever come up?
>
> The reason that I ask is because there seem to be many opportunities to
> explore, all of which require some kind of momentum to be formed or strict
> adherence to Lua's specific mission. As a result, many efforts feels like
> hearding cats or sounding like an unwanted extension to Lua itself.

Such as?

I'm curious what you think can be solved by a "Foundation" that can't
be solved by us, the community.

The main purpose for such a foundation might be as a legal entity and
touch point for large organisations that don't know how to deal with
individuals.
It might be capable of
  - applying for grants
  - holding bank accounts for community funds
  - being named as party to insurance (e.g. for conferences)
  - being blessed by governments
At the moment these are generally not done at all, by private parties,
or sometimes via PUC-Rio and/or LabLua.
I wouldn't be opposed to such an organisation, but I'm not entirely
sure what problems you're solving for.
I also have questions about where such a foundation should be
founded/based to solve the legal issues it's designed to solve.