Machine learning IS supplied, batteries included.
http://torch.ch

The survey is obviously biased (73% web devs).

Here is a nice post "Goodbye, Lua": https://realmensch.org/2016/05/28/goodbye-lua/
Which I think puts all Lua strengths and weaknesses very nicely.

On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 10:12 PM, Martin <eden_martin_fuhrspam@gmx.de> wrote:

On 03/24/2017 12:51 PM, Egor Skriptunoff wrote:
> According to Stack Overflow Developer Survey 2017,
> https://stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2017/?utm_source=so-owned&utm_medium=blog&utm_campaign=dev-survey-2017&utm_content=blog-link#technology-most-loved-dreaded-and-wanted-languages
> Lua is ranked 9-th in "Most dreaded Languages" list:
> 2/3 of developers who are currently using Lua express no interest in
> continuing to use it.
>
> That's quite unexpected.
> Probably, most of SO survey respondents are Lua newcomers.
> What may be the reasons for their "moon fear"?
>
> Maybe, deceptive simplicity (hidden complexity) of the language?
>
> -- Egor

I think Lua is a great language for creating your own worlds. Worlds
where basic entities are low-level linked functions, lua functions and
lua tables. OOP, JSON, XML, DOM, SQL, machine learning, WebGL and
other abstractions are not supplied.

Probably majority of responders of StackOverflow wishes them. And
wishes them in one and only canonic form.

I think that guys find nearly ideal imaginary language whose
distribution occupies 60GiB and includes libraries for anything (but
exactly one library for something). Where creating and distributing
your own libraries is strictly forbidden or hardened by compliance
with "standards". Where printed documentation weights over 100kg.
Where someone may spent 20 years to become "guru" in usage of some
these libraries. Where is government-like system of certificates
(ranks). Where backward compatibility is dogma. Is this a "language"
of future?

Should it be said that Lua is NOT such language? (And hope will
never be.)

-- Martin