On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Enrico Colombini <erix@erix.it> wrote:
> BASIC could be reasonably understood by non-programmers, so many people
> wrote programs in their domain of expertise. They were unrefined and naive
> programs, but they often worked fine because the authors knew their trade
> well.

This does continue - I've dealt with domain experts that live in Excel
and can speak VBA.

> Today's languages require professional programmers... and we often have
> communication problems between the subject expert and the technical expert.

Oh yes. I remember inheriting a Java app. implementing the intricate
spreadsheets of such an expert. And ended up thinking - if we both had
Lua in common, then life would _definitely_ be easier, because I was
round-tripping between Java and Basic a lot.