There are compatibility libraries to add/patch these functions back in.

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 11:57 PM Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

> However, this left me wondering if perhaps the removal of math.atan2()
> was such a good idea, given Lua’s popularity in game engines. I really
> hate writing a library that depends on a function that I can’t guarantee
> will be in a distro. Yes, the hyberbolics are probably esoteric enough to
> be moved out, but perhaps math.atan2() should be re-examined for
> inclusion in the standard build again?

I'd like them all back. A function that is on any high school mathematics
calculator is not esoteric.

There used to be an argument about C89 not having them, but the most
recent Lua builds under "make linux" all say "-std=gnu99".