Hi

I work with Lua since 2.1 days and my team maintain code developed initialy with CGILua 3, 20 years ago, and were converted/upgraded to every new Lua version until 5.2 (we are planning to upgrade to Lua 5.3, but we have to wait for the libraries: CGILua, LuaFileSystem, LuaSQL, LuaExpat, LuaSOAP, LuaSec, LuaSocket, CGILua LuaZip, lua-iconv, LPEG, HTK, Dado). So we did many upgrades and converted our code many times. Maybe our case is too particular to generalize, but that task was always a simple and easy task.

I think the Lua team always made a good judgement when faced with the problem of introducing a new feature and also an incompatibility. I don't think this should be changed.

Regards,
Tomás

On 2017-01-12 01:58, Charles Heywood wrote:
I feel a problem would arise with, for example, loadstring and unpack
being (re)moved.

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017, 21:47 Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

<william@25thandclement.com>:

If Lua 5.3 really is good enough, given Lua's track record I
would expect
future versions to naturally maintain strong backwards
compatibility,
regardless of any specific intent to do so. Indeed, for most
problems it's
trivial to write Lua 5.1, 5.2, and 5.3 compatible code.

Perhaps someone concerned about these issues could design
a specification of "clean Lua", the intersection of Lua 5.1, 5.2
and
5.3, and provide a tool that checks whether code conforms to it.