On 3 December 2016 at 09:54, Pierre Chapuis <catwell@archlinux.us> wrote:
> In general, I think we (Lua developers) should use LuaRocks.
>
> When we distribute software to end users we should bundle dependencies
> with it, or rely on the operating systems' own package managers.
>
> It may make sense for specific ecosystems to have their own package
> managers (e.g. OpenResty) although it would probably be better if
> they just used a custom LuaRocks tree.

Agreed, it would be better, as Torch did with their custom LuaRocks
tree. Having all modules under the same roof as it happens in other
language communities, all projects would benefit from each other's
increased exposure. This would benefit the Lua community at large.
Fragmentation helps no one.

In any case, it was announced that opm is going to include a LuaRocks
bridge, so targeting LuaRocks is a good choice for a developer wanting
to reach both userbases. :)

-- Hisham