Yes, Mathieu, I was thinking about something like this. Probably only
the background should be transparent, and the inner circle and text
white.

If at all possible, maybe the original artist could provide us with an
official `.svg` (If the one on Wikipedia is not), because, from what
I've found, the proportions in the `.gif` file on lua.org are very
random at best (e.g. the small blue circle is centered at about
`66.25` pixels across).
I could get the `.svg` file on Wikipedia down to 1665 bytes from 1734
bytes, simply by removing the `<title>` and unnecessary whitespace. If
we can find the font used (If any) we can probably get the `.svg` file
down to ~1000 bytes. At this point we really shouldn't be arguing
about file size anymore, though, as `.svg` seems to beat `.gif`
twofold on this front.

That said, though support for [the `.svg` file
format](http://caniuse.com/#feat=svg) is nearly universal (With a mere
0.75% of the internet browser market share not fully supporting it), I
would still advocate for changing the logo (and possibly other files)
to `.png`, as it is better supported on mobile platforms and offline.