On 2016-11-04 10:33 AM, Hisham wrote:
On 1 November 2016 at 17:07, Jeff Rouse <jeffr@activestate.com> wrote:
Hi all,

At ActiveState we feel Lua has a bright future in a variety of application
areas (IoT, embedded scripting, and many others), and we are looking for
ideas on how to support the community, increase adoption and help
enterprises utilize the language more effectively. I’m proud to say that in
2017, we will be providing a community- and enterprise-ready Lua
distribution on a variety of platforms, shaped in part by the feedback we
receive from the community.
Hi Jeff!

As the lead developer of LuaRocks, I'm very happy to see that
ActiveState is reaching out for community feedback.

The Lua ecosystem is unfortunately quite fragmented, so I think it's
important that the various efforts towards improving the Lua platform
join forces. I would love to see an ActiveState distribution of Lua
shipping LuaRocks out-of-the-box and I'm really happy to see that
other users already chimed in with this same desire.

One of the design goals of LuaRocks is to be flexible enough so it
adapts itself for various scenarios (that's why it is light on
dependencies and heavily configurable — I once successfully set up
LuaRocks to do cross-compiling to an embedded Linux system just by
editing its config file, for example, without having any native
cross-compiling support built into the tool).

If you guys have any issues or comments with regard to LuaRocks
integration, make sure to drop by at our issues page on Github or the
luarocks-developers mailing list!

Cheers,

-- Hisham
Hi Hisham!

My apologies for the delay in replying, I really wanted to get individual replies out to everyone who repsonded on this list, but time realities are forcing me to be more practical. :) I appreciate all the work that you and other contributors here do in providing the LuaRocks package manager. I agree that working against fragmentation in the language is key. I may reach out at a later point with some comments and thoughts in regards to our distro and LuaRocks.

BTW, we recently did a Lua blog post with a shout out to LuaRocks: http://bit.ly/2g2GfG0

Cheers,

-JR