The mail list could be kept as is. There's no reason a forum couldn't co-exist with the list.

There are many "Lua communities"! There's...
- the irc channel
- the subtreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/lua/
- the #LuaLang hashtag on twitter
- Lua questions on quora and stackoverflow
- the blog  http://lua.space (come help, make a PR with a post!)
- few different facegroup groups and pages
- forums of different game engines
etc.

And none of them imply that the mail list is outdated or is ineffective. People communicate
different things with different purposes in each of those channels of communication. It just
means that Lua is being used by more people.

I would gladly use a forum sort of hackernews like, and I'd still use the mail list.

(PS: +1 to the auto-post idea)