Generally I find the mailing list format to be sufficient to keep up with current messages; however, it can feel inadequate when I want to search or browse older messages from before I was subscribed to the mailing list.

If there were an interest in adopting a forum, I would highly recommend keeping the mailing list and setting up a forum that mirrors it. Users can post to either the mailing list or the forum, and the message is mirrored on the other. A great example of this in action is the OpenSceneGraph forum (http://forum.openscenegraph.org/).

Cheers,
Kevin

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

> I cant think of any arguments against a message board format,
> apart from it would take some time and effort to set this up.
> I would be interested to hear other peoples opinions about this
> and why it hasnt already happened ? Am I in the minority with this
> point of view ?

This is a question of personal preference. Have you counted the
number of times your message contains the pronoun "I"?

By all means set up a bulletin board. And a chat room. And
a blog with user interaction. Then everybody can use whatever
they like.

Just don't close down lua-l.