On 11/1/2016 12:07 PM, Jeff Rouse wrote:
> *
>
> Hi all,
>

> At ActiveState we feel Lua has a bright future in a variety of
> application areas (IoT, embedded scripting, and many others), and we are
> looking for ideas on how to support the community, increase adoption and
> help enterprises utilize the language more effectively. I’m proud to say
> that in 2017, we will be providing a community- and enterprise-ready Lua
> distribution on a variety of platforms, shaped in part by the feedback
> we receive from the community.
>

> At ActiveState we have been in the open source tools and languages
> business (Python, Perl, Tcl) for almost 20 years. We also build
> developer tools, which are our Komodo Edit (open source) and IDE, which
> has basic Lua support, and we are actively making further Lua
> development improvements in those products.
>

> If you would like to ask any questions or provide thoughts on where we
> can best help the Lua community, feel free to respond to this thread,
> email me, or sign up to our mail list (http://www.activestate.com/lua)
> for advanced notice of when our distribution is available. We look
> forward to hearing from you!*
>
> Cheers,
> -JR

I looked at the product page and along with the other products (or
solutions) that ActiveState offers. I noted that only the new products
use the term risk to refer to 'support risk', whereas the older product
pages only seem to mention legal risk (indemnification). I imagine
making the pages more consistent in this regard may help overall with
avoiding the sort of negative responses that this list has had.

And, just to clarify, there are two types of risks mentioned on the Lua
page, software support and legal risk. They are both legitimate things
that specific businesses may or may not want to spend money on to
mitigate. And in fact, that's part of ActiveState's business model. So,
other than the wording of the page, there isn't much point in debating
the topic, rather than being constructive.

As far as what I'd like to see, I'd like to see supported versions of
the libraries written by the Lua authors themselves, which aren't part
of Lua, but they seem to be both popular and designed in the same spirit
as Lua.