>> Lua 5.3.3 requires some patches.
>> The implementation of strtod() in the Android Bionic C library doesn't
>> handle the hex format.
>> So, we must define LUA_USE_C89.
>> [...]
>
> If the only problem with C99 is strtod, wouldn't be easier to simply
> undefine 'lua_strx2number' for Android (instead of defining LUA_USE_C89)?
>
> -- Roberto

Android is not a developper friendly target.
For example, log2() is available only since ABI 18.
So, using LUA_USE_C89 is a conservative choice (not an optimal
choice), like with Windows.
On Android, like on Windows, we don't need LUA_C89_NUMBERS.
I think that LUA_USE_C89 + LUA_C89_NUMBERS is only for very old
compiler/toolchain.
It is the reason for my variant 2, where the dependency between
LUA_USE_C89 and LUA_USE_C89 is removed.

François