> On 04 Sep 2016, at 23:32, Valentin <vsl@dasdeck.com> wrote:
>

> My intention for this post, apart from "sharing is caring", is also to
> find out if there is any interest in something like this and if it's
> worth the hassle to create a LuaRock for it.
>
> Cheers,
> Valentin

A rock spec would be great, as it’s the easiest way to distribute modules in Lua land. Having said that, it might not be trivial. LuaRocks can be used with both MinGW/gcc based toolchains as well as the Microsoft toolchains, so ideally it would use the LuaRocks “builtin” backend, which allows to use both toolchains transparently (from a ‘make’ perspective), but obviously the code must support it.

And yet another complexity is the runtimes used (msvcrt.dll/msvcrXX.dll) as all executable code must be using the same runtime (Lua interpreter, the binding, the ffi library in your case, and any other module a user might use). But obviously this is a user responsibility. Though this is also the main reason that a rock spec would really help, as users can then easily build the binaries for their system using a simple LuaRocks command as long as they build their entire Lua system using the same LuaRocks installation.

Thijs