> In a project I'm writing I want to ensure my C code doesn't use
> newfangled features, so I compile it with `-ansi` (or `-std=c90`). I'm
> using gcc.
>
> However, in this mode the compiler emits an error:

Unfortunately, there is no way around this. The Lua C API uses lua_Integer and so lua_Integer in your code must be the same as lua_Integer in the installed Lua library.

I sympathize: Most of my Lua libraries are written in C90 but when Lua 5.3 came out I had to remove -ansi from the Makefiles and use -std=c99.