On 23 August 2016 at 20:24, Peter Aronoff <telemachus@arpinum.org> wrote:
If I were you, I would probably look into installing and using Homebrew
(http://brew.sh).

I have kinda hate, and less love relationship with Brew. Yes, it is one of the most used
package managers on macOS, but well it uses source packages, and well sucks in many
ways. One of the best package managers I have seen on macOS is Rudix:
http://rudix.org/

It has always had nice Lua Packages:
http://rudix.org/packages/lua.html
http://rudix.org/packages/luajit.html
http://rudix.org/packages/luarocks.html

It doesn't do anything fancy or complex (like sandboxing), mainly just what make install would do, and that's about it.