On 05/08/16 08:51 PM, Sean Conner wrote:
It was thus said that the Great Soni L. once stated:
On 05/08/16 05:32 PM, Rain Gloom wrote:
Just do your own debug.* hacks, I'm fairly positive you can embedd
some debug.getinfo and .getlocal in your _ENV's __index and do it.

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 8:38 AM, steve donovan
<steve.j.donovan@gmail.com <mailto:steve.j.donovan@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 8:34 AM, Thomas Jericke <tjericke@indel.ch
    <mailto:tjericke@indel.ch>> wrote:
    >> Doctor, when I put the finger into my own eye it hurts!
    >
    >> Then don't put it there.

    Exactly.  Addiction to very short variable names leads to these
    symptoms.

load(string.dump(chunk, true))() --> works with proposal, fails with
debug.* (not counting sandbox support, compile-time optimizations, etc)
   Why does this fail?  What doesn't work with debug.*?  What is the problem
you are trying to solve?  Just saying "it doesn't work" doesn't tell  *us*
much about what this is trying to do.

   -spc

_SELF and _SUPER would make the compiler insert some things into the bytecode that don't get erased/don't count as "debug info".

Using debug.* is literally relying on debug info. And order of locals/upvalues. And so on. None of that is guaranteed, while the proposal can use mechanisms not yet available and stuff.

For example, this code:

local x;
print(_SELF["x"])

Could produce a sequence of opcodes like:

R(1) = nil -- e.g. LOADNIL
R(2) = Upval[1][K(1)] -- e.g. GETTABUP
R(3) = K(2)[K(3)] -- e.g. GETTABLEK / GETTABLE with a statically allocated table constant R(3) = R(R(3)) -- e.g. MOVEI / move from indirect register (because the I is on the right, and the RHS is the source)
R(2)(R(3)) -- e.g. CALL

where:

K(1) = "print"
K(2) = statically allocated table: {["x"] = 1}
K(3) = "x"

This would be for reading only. For writing, it'd use R(R(x)) = R(y) (e.g. IMOVE) instead. For calling, it'd retrieve the current function from the call stack or something. For passing it around, it'd copy all locals into a table, maybe set a __call metamethod as well.