On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 8:40 AM, John Hind <john.hind@zen.co.uk> wrote:
>> | "continue" command or stupid holes in tables?
>> |
>> | Man, it bothers me too. It isn't representative of most happy users of
> the
>> | language, but the question is, how do people get over the difficulties
>> | become happy users?
>
> I think you both misread this: people obsess about the tiny imperfections in
> Lua precisely because they are very happy users. It is because Lua is
> already so very good that people think it has a shot at perfection.
> Personally I would never bother to contribute to a discussion about
> improving JavaScript because it is such a steaming mess that I would not
> know where to start. Only Forth is worse, and it at least is interestingly
> bad!

This. Those tiny imperfections are the things that very happy users
see as the only major obstacles (besides marketing) preventing other
developers from also becoming very happy users. The stuff that gets
the most discussion is the stuff that pretty much everyone will bump
their head on at some point, and the idea that fixing those little
things could result in a flawless jewel of a language is ever so
tantalizing.

/s/ Adam