> On Jul 21, 2016, at 2:37 PM, Ulrich Schmidt <u.sch.zw@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Am 21.07.2016 um 21:50 schrieb Russell Haley:
>>
>> Perhaps posting an example for people to follow would help lessen some
>> of the "noise"? I've written some neat stuff in Lua but would have no
>> clue how to move forward with your suggestion. Maybe the people making
>> the noise aren't as experienced as you are?
>>
> My experience is below most of yours. But i try to find the door. Again:
> 1) try avoiding holes
> 2) if you cant because you did not write the code, try other modules or
>   patch them.
> 3) if 1) and 2) cant help: rework the table you get and remove all holes.

Argh not table holes again! <j/k>

When I was discussing the issue of table holes in the recent thread, my perspective was much less about “yet another feature request”, it was actually much closer I think to Ulrich’s post. Personally, I admire Lua not only as a very practical language but also one which is aesthetically elegant. The reason I dislike the current “sequences cannot have holes” design is (a) it is peculiarly at odds with the clean simple design of the rest of the language (even the definition of sequence, though correct, is not intuitive), and (b) appears to confuse a pretty significant number of people judging by how often it comes up on this list.

—Tim