On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 11:59 AM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm halfway in between. I write programs whose user interface is actually
> the Lua interpreter, but metatabled until it looks and feels like the
> application. The user does not need to know any Lua, but when I work
> on the program, all of Lua is available to me.

It's a non-trivial niche - 'embedded DSLs'. Lua is good for this, and
extra operators can be usefully chosen to map onto domain concepts.
(As long as it isn't a _hundred_ operators - that's way bigger than
normal peoples' working set memory)

Would be rather nice to have a function short-form, but that boat
sailed long ago. This makes Moonscript an even better base for DSLs,
without losing the Lua ecosystem - see end of [0]

[0] http://steved-imaginaryreal.blogspot.co.za/2013/08/a-question-of-notation-revisiting.html