On 16-07-20 05:54 AM, Egor Skriptunoff wrote:
> Yes, according to my suggestion, five new operations
> (and 5 new metamethods) should be introduced:
> [+] [-] [*] [/] [%]

> Explicit function calls (for converting or for math operations) are too
> boring to use.
> That's why Lua has migrated from function-like-notation to
> operation-like-notation
> for bitwise stuff ("bit32.band" -> "&" and so on) at the cost of
> introducing new syntax, and I like it.
> Mathematical expressions are better to look like math formulas whenever
> possible.

Thank you for clarification, I understand your point. Probably we
feel lua language and it's future projections different.

Personally I'm not very glad of bitwise operators in 5.3. Yes, they are
neat and makes code easier to understand. I'm not glad of string.pack()
either. These moves language to more machine-dependent side. Why not
add separate arrays type? Why not add +=, /=, ...? Why not add pointers,
malloc() and free()?

I liked lua for it's minimalism. But feels like it become too popular
to ignore mainstream.