On 6/30/16, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> The reference manuals for Lua 5.1, 5.2, and 5.3 are now available as a
> convenient standalone package [...]
> Enjoy. All feedback is welcome.

Thank you for doing all this work!

I extracted the 3 files and all works fine. (I'm on Linux, where
there's no problem with symbolic links.)

I guess my previous complaint ("Where can I download the Lua 5.1's
manual?") caused you to tackle this. Thanks. But I suspect this
wouldn't have solved my problem because, being familiar with Lua, I'd
have grabbed the source tarball anyway, not a documentation tarball,
to get the documentation. (And I'd have clicked the wrong tarball
version, as explained previously.) Why would I prefer the source?
because:

(1) I know the documentation is in the source tarball.
(2) I use the source itself as documentation. E.g., it can answer
questions like "Does luaL_checkint() simply cast luaL_checknumber()?",
"How does file:seek() cope with integers bigger than 32 bits?". "Does
bit32.band() with no arguments returns 0xffffffff intentionally?")