On 6/30/16, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
>> I downloaded the tarball from:
>>
>> https://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.1.tar.gz
>
> That is the very first relase of Lua 5.1, released in 2006!
> Get http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.1.5.tar.gz , released in 2012.

I see. Thanks for explaining this to me. I downloaded this newer
tarball and its bundled documentation is fine.

> I wonder what led you to download lua-5.1.tar.gz instead of
> lua-5.1.5.tar.gz.

It's very simple:

- I went to the site.
- I clicked "download".
- I clicked "versions".
- I scrolled down to the "Lua 5.1" header.
- I clicked the "Lua 5.1" link at the beginning.

I didn't know I wasn't supposed to click that link. It said "Lua 5.1".
So, naturally, I clicked it. Did you *really* expect me to read all
the story there?! It's the internet, man, the internet. No one is
reading on the internet. We're "scanning". The link said "Lua 5.1", so
I clicked it. Why shouldn't I? I'm already familiar with Lua, so even
if I weren't a "scanner" I would have ignored that story. If you don't
want people to click a link, make it say "click here to learn how to
become rich quickly", not "Lua 5.1". Or make it say "Lua 5.1.0" --this
would have caused me to pause.

I downloaded that tarball at least 5 times over the past 3 years. Each
time I made that same mistake. I don't consider myself stupid. If I
failed in this, I guess many other would too.