I would expect "luarocks install luaposix" to work out of the box
if the currently installed lua matches the current Luarocks default
version.

But no. On my system "lua" is the current release. 5.3.3.

| checking if lua53 is a Lua interpreter... no
| configure: error: not a Lua interpreter

I needed to create a symbolic link to make it work.

Why can't it check first of all if the output "lua -v" complies with
what is needed? And only if it isn't, start to guess under what
name the alternative interpreter might be available?