Hi,

So I began my translation of Lua to Esperanto, you can find the project
there :

https://github.com/psychoslave/lupa
https://framagit.org/psychoslave/lupa

I already translated some tokens in llex.c as suggested in the thread I
was pointed to in the answer bellow.

Now, I run into some problems whose solution would be surely be more
easily found with some help by people who already know the Lua code base.

# Information about tokens

First, it looks like not all tokens defined in luaX_tokens are really
used in the parsing. For example I wanted to translate "==" with
"egalas"[1][2]. But replacing the token in luaX_tokens won't do the job :

lupa> se vera == vera tiam print('ververa') hop
ververa
lupa> se vera egalas vera tiam print('ververa') hop
stdin:1: 'tiam' expected near 'egalas'

Any hint on what should I do?

There are other tokens which may have no usage in Lua itself, as far as
I understand, namely :

"<string>"

I guess that "<word>" are just placeholders for corresponding word
classes (internal stuff). What about the three other they reserved words
with some use in Lua external itself?

# utf8

it's seems that I can't use unicode characters. For example :

lupa> cikle print('senfina') ĝis falsa
stdin:1: unexpected symbol near '<\196>'

Now Esperanto permit to use the -x- notation to bypass this kind of
problem, you can write "gxis" instead of "ĝis", but having the unicode
notation would be better. What should I do for that?

# Notes

[1] "egalas" meaning "equals" of course. That's not completely
satisfying to my mind, as it's a transitive verb which normally requires
an accusative complement (ie. "nuno egalas etalon"). One way to bypass
this is to use the -iĝ- affix which makes a transitive verb
intransitive. Thus "nuno egaliĝas etalo" is a grammatically Esperanto
congruent sentence meaning "actual thing and standard are equals".

[2] Yes, the project goals include replacing all non-phonetic symbols
from the language itself.