I have a __gc function implemented in C that logs allocs and frees, calling lua_getinfo() to get a stack trace. In this case, the finalizer is being called via the checkGC() call in OP_NEWTABLE in luaV_execute. The assert claims that getfuncname() shouldn’t be called from OP_NEWTABLE, but this seems like a legit use case. (OP_CONCAT and OP_CLOSURE also call checkGC(); OP_CLOSURE would fail the assert, too.)

Bug, or am I doing it wrong? Or do you need more info?

Thanks!
-Dave