I've started creating some Lua-focused content for O'Reilly, a
publisher of many popular software books. This article, coming out in
3 parts, introduces Lua to coders already familiar with JavaScript:

https://www.oreilly.com/learning/learn-lua-from-javascript-part-1-an-introduction-to-lua

A webcast and a report, both free, will follow.

If anyone is interested in helping to promote Lua as a language, one
way to do this would be to push some traffic toward this content (both
the above link and some future items linked from there). This would
directly add more Lua users, and indirectly provide O'Reilly with
evidence that Lua is a language worthy of more content. To be clear, I
am not receiving any direct benefit for this traffic; I love the
language and would like to help promote it by creating educational
material. I think the best way to enable more Lua content is to show
publishers that people see it as an interesting topic.

If anyone sees technical errors in the content, or if anyone is
interested in acting as a technical checker for future material,
please email me directly.

thanks!
 - Tyler

ps While writing this email, I searched the lua-l archives to see that
O'Reilly was at one time considering publishing Programming in Lua. It
was a mistake that they didn't do so, although I'm grateful PiL is
available free online. Here's some evidence that Lua is popular enough
for more books:

https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=%2Fm%2F02mm3%2C%20%2Fm%2F05q31%2C%20%2Fm%2F0chpd%2C%20%2Fm%2F03j_q%2C%20%2Fm%2F04kyw&cmpt=q&tz=Etc%2FGMT%2B7