  In the "Integers-related trap in Lua 5.3" thread, my intial thought was
that it could be solved through the use of locales, where the preferred
separator could be specified but alas, a closer reading of the C standard
showed that the decimal point is used for input (strtod()) and output
(printf()).

  So even if I wanted to write a "locale aware" input/output module, I can't
(at least in pure Lua) because the standard C function localeconv() is not
exported to Lua.  Why was that function not included in Lua?  It's part of
the C standard, so it's not like it would add that much overhead, and it
would at least help in writing locale-aware functions.

  -spc