[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- Subject: Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.3 (rc1) now available
- From: Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@...>
- Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 09:55:55 +0200
2016-05-12 8:32 GMT+02:00 Jonathan Goble <email@example.com>:
> Let me put this another way: take a look at the Semantic Versioning
> Specification.  An increment to the patch version is exclusively
> for bug fixes. This is not a bug fix; this is an addition of newly
> defined functionality, which according to semantic versioning, cannot
> be done in a patch release and requires an increment of the minor
> version number. So there is another argument in favor of waiting until
> 5.4 or 6.0 here.
>  http://semver.org/
>  Yes, I know Lua doesn't fully comply with semantic versioning, but
> typically it has done so at least with regard to the patch version,
> which is the point of contention here.
There is a precedent.
The behaviour of table.insert and table.remove in the case of
an invalid index, like the previous empty match behaviour in
gsub and gmatch,
1. ... used to be undefined but reproducible.
2. ... every now and then was the subject of a new post by
someone who thought that it was unintuitive, and annoyed
the Lua team , by branding it as a bug.
3. ... was changed in a "bugfixing" release to be no longer