So with lit setting up a local proxy server is as simple as `lit serve`.

If you have an upstream set (which by default points to wss://lit.luvit.io/), it will proxy requests from it if the requested package isn't found locally.  If you publish packages to it, it will not forward them upstream.  Anything that goes through the proxy will be cached locally (just like the local lit client does).

Since everything is based on git-compatible hashes, the caching is perfect and very efficient.

This was designed to avoid one of the main problems of npm which is the high load caused by all those node.js projects on travis.ci that download 100mb of dependencies for every commit.  If lit ever became popular, travis could just setup a local proxy trivially and save themselves boatloads of bandwidth as well as make builds work when the main repository is down.

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:
It was thus said that the Great Peter Aronoff once stated:
> On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 02:50PM, Tim Caswell wrote:
> > So the killer features of lit that I'm not willing to part with are:
> >
> >  - relative imports for intra-package modules.
> >  - scoped package installs (npm style) (vs global paths)
> >  - a content-addressable based sync system for downloading and publishing
> >    files.
> >  - trivially deployed proxy servers or private repositories.
> >
> > I would love for there to be one package system for lua in the future.
> > Lit isn't there yet and these are places where I find luarocks lacking.
>
> I believe that LuaRocks can do npm-style scoped installs:
>
> http://leafo.net/guides/customizing-the-luarocks-tree.html

  And further more, it's pretty easy to set up a private LuaRocks repository
and point to it.  I know you can upload modules to the main LuaRocks
repository, but I've yet to set that up for my private repository (not sure
how easy it is).  You can also specify multiple LuaRocks repositories that
LuaRocks will contact.

  -spc