[offlist]

Thank you for following up on this. It builds cleanly on OS X 10.11 Xcode 7.2, although I haven't really tested it. (Add a test suite to the wish list. :-)

IMO, the most important feature for a Unicode pattern matcher is for "." and inverted ranges to match either whole codepoints or nothing. I think that would mean: given valid utf8 patterns and haystacks, no invalid utf8 can be output. "First, do no harm..."

I think the slnunicode package has a Unicode-aware pattern matcher, if you want other ideas.

Jay