From page 18 of a PDF at http://www.lua.org/wshop14/Ierusalimschy.pdf, Professor Ierusalimschy states: "Integer division converts operands to integers and does an integer division."

However, the following examples using Lua 5.3.1 interactively, show that either there is something about this I don't understand, or the preceding statement is not correct:

C:\>lua
Lua 5.3.1  Copyright (C) 1994-2015 Lua.org, PUC-Rio

1
> 3.0//2
1.0

> 3.0 // 3.0
1.0
1
> 2.0//2
1.0
> 2 // 2.0
1.0
> 6.0 // 1
6.0

These examples show that the operands of // are *not* converted to integer, and in the case of non-integer operands, // does not do an integer division unless both operands are in integer form.

Am I just misunderstanding something basic, or is this actually a bug?

Howard Lee Harkness