If I understand what you're saying; Lua is blind to the fact that B has a reference to A that should prevent A from being garbage collected.

You could create a table entry somewhere that has B as a (weak) key and A as the value.  In function "C", remove the table entry.  So long as B exists then so does A, because of the table entry you created.  If either C is called or B itself is garbage collected, then the table row is removed and A becomes eligible for garbage collection.