On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 7:31 AM, Mooffie <mooffie@gmail.com> wrote:
On 10/16/15, Leo Romanoff <romixlev@yahoo.com> wrote:
> mc^2 looks really cool! Is there any chance you would provide
> pre-built binary for most popular Linux distros and for OS X?

No, sorry. I don't have resources for that.

I see.

> If providing pre-built binaries is not an option,
> could you provide more details about building mc^2 on OS X?

I'm not familiar with OS X, but any document explaining how to build
the plain vanilla mc will suit you. mc^2 changes nothing in the build
procedure (except for adding a switch to enable Lua, explained in the
"Installation" page on the site). If you manage to build mc but not
mc^2, drop me a line and I'll see if I can help.

I usually install mc on OS X using brew. I simply issue the "brew install mc" command and it installs it.
The Brew formula for mc can be found here: https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/blob/master/Library/Formula/midnight-commander.rb

It basically tells brew to download a tar.gz archive with the source code from a given URL and then run "configure" with certain arguments to configure it and then "make install".

The interesting thing is: The mentioned official source code archive at http://ftp.midnight-commander.org/mc-4.8.14.tar.xz contains a "configure" script already and it is good enough to be used on OS X. But your branch on github does not contain "configure" and trying to produce it with "autogen"  results in different kinds of errors (e.g. it complains about gettext, etc). So, I'm wondering if you could provide a "configure" script in your repo (may be along the lines of the configure script from the official tarball mentioned above), so that your branch of "mc" can be built the same way as the standard version.

Thanks,
  Leo