On 7 September 2015 at 08:13, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The average Ubuntu user does not stick around with a release
>>> that has gone out of support. From 12.04 on LTS means five years
>>> of support, but 10.04 Desktop had only three years of support.
>>>

>> 10.04 LTS only went out of support recently. See
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=ubuntu-release-cycle-2.png
>
> That was the server version, not the desktop version.

The use of an aged Linux distribution is a deliberate choice.

It is indeed the easiest way to have Linux binaries target a not too
recent version of libc, which in turn allows you to offer
compatibility with almost every existing Linux distribution currently
on the market.
The approach has been verified with the Linux Standard Base
Application Checker
(http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/lsb/linux-application-checker-getting-started).

And I went thought the trouble of installing a reasonably recent
version of gcc (4.8.1).

Can you please point out to a specific rock where my distribution
choice turns out to be an issue?

Thanks

Stefano