> On a separate note, I'm seeing lots of references to "read the
> manual" and/or "read PiL" for 5.2/5.3 questions on this list.
> I have a personal aversion to screens, and a preference for paper,
> for various reasons, and as a result have several copies of the
> second edition from the 5.1 era, of the English versions of both
> PiL and of the Reference Manual.
>
> Is there a time frame for an updated paper edition of the
> Reference Manual for 5.3 ([perhaps with 5.2 annotations])?

We are not working on that. We are not sure there is a demand for
it.

> I missed the announcement of PiL, third edition, covering 5.2...
> and would like to obtain an updated version covering 5.3.  Is there
> a time frame for producing a paper version of PiL for 5.3?

I am working on that, but it will take some time. (I am doing several
changes in the book besides updating it to 5.3.) Probably it will be
out Northern Spring 2016. But PiL 3 is practically all valid for
Lua 5.3, except for integers.

-- Roberto