Maybe I am missing something, but if we want to put some extra bits in
'TValue' to good use and solve the OP problem, maybe a better idea would
be to introduce metatables for light userdata.

There would be a limit on the number of different metatables that light
userdata can have, but it would be a reasonable high limit [2^25] for
typical uses of metatables. If we adopt this limit for all metatables in
the system, we could gain some space in tables and full userdata, too.
(We could even gain individual metatables for numbers :-)

-- Roberto