On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 1:13 AM, Dibyendu Majumdar
<mobile@majumdar.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been pondering on the whole question of FFI interface for Ravi.
> Any solution has to also work for standard Lua 5.3. After some thought
> I decided that rather than creating an FFI solution, it would be more
> powerful and general if I created a Lua centric LLVM binding. I don't
> know yet how this will look like, but I am hoping that by end
> September I will have something to show.
>
> I want to get to a point eventually where one can not only use the
> LLVM bindings to interface with foreign C code without having to write
> C code, but also be able to write a JIT compiler for Lua in Lua!

Great plans! Good luck!

> To start with, for the sake of expediency, I am creating this as a
> component of Ravi; but it will be Lua 5.3 compatible. I need to at
> some point factor it out as a separate library - but I will do this
> once I have something working.

I think, it would be more useful to start it as a library compatible
with Ravi, Lua 5.1 (and LuaJIT), 5.2 and 5.3. If you start it as a
part of Ravi, it would need extra work to factor it out. If you start
it as a separate lib, you can then add Ravi-specific optimizations if
it detects Ravi. (By the way, what is the right way to detect Ravi
from Lua?)

--

Best regards,
Boris Nagaev