On Saturday, June 27, 2015, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry didn't mean to offend. Just looking for someone for a 6 month
> contract in Santa Monica.

Apart from the posting on lua-l, I received a personalized "Dear Dirk"
version. It's very well designed: the "HTML only" flag was all that registered
on my spam filter.

I suspect that anybody who has posted more than X items on Lua-L in the
past Y months also got one. You're not by any chance willing to divulge
the values of X and Y?

A free hint: your program for mining the Lua-L archives could also take into
account the timezone that people post from.  Surely PST would offer a
larger probabilty of success than GMT+02:00.

(Not really to Dirk but to thread.)

Holy crap this is a tough crowd. I suppose you guys are only politely pruning and weeding.

I received the email, personally, as well. I made the suggestion that she post it here and I provided her the link. If that's not a good idea, please let me know and I won't do that in the future.

I honestly think that we get used to getting yelled at by compilers and error messages, often for the most pedantic of reasons, and the result is in-kind behavior to people that are not software developers.
It's is a little fun for the person emailing and embarrassing to the person who emailed, who is just trying to do her job. It's an Excesize Left to the Reader to decide whether or not it's justified, I suppose.

-Andrew (who still remembers what it's like to be in marketing)