> It was thus said that the Great Elias Hogstvedt once stated:
>> If there was a vote of some sort I'd vote to remove this feature as it just
>> complicates things (mainly tools that communicate with lua) without really
>> much gain IMHO.
>  I like the feature and would personally hate to see it go.'

I hate the removal of features except when replaced by a more
general feature that subsumes the original. For example, the
bit32 library has been superseded in Lua 5.3 by the new bit operations,
which is OK, but we have lost bit32.arshift, which is not OK.

One could generalize it to allow any literal, not merely tables and strings.
I.e. there is no _syntactic_ reason that prevents `math.sqrt 2` from meaning
`math.sqrt(2)` or `assert false` from meaning `assert(false)`. This observation
is NOT a proposal!