If there was a vote of some sort I'd vote to remove this feature as it just complicates things (mainly tools that communicate with lua) without really much gain IMHO.

I have a similar feeling about having single and double quotes but I'm not really sure what the consequences would be if either was removed. I guess it's mainly convenient if you want to write the other quote in a string without the need to escape? But what other benefits would it have? I have often misread strings whenever there's use of both in them since the double quote can look like 2 single quotes and so on.