This is most excellent. The version of Lua that my package manager installs doesn't even include the basic readline support Lua ships with.

I'm having trouble loading it as a module, though, from the lua standalone repl. I installed from rocks, and luap works. But whenever I try to just directly load the module from any version of lua besides 5.2, I get error messages, which are different depending on which lua I'm using.

Thusly:

$ lua5.1 -l prompt -i
lua5.1: error loading module 'prompt' from file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/prompt.so':
dlopen(/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/prompt.so, 2): Symbol not found: _luaL_loadbufferx
  Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/prompt.so
  Expected in: dynamic lookup

stack traceback:
[C]: ?
[C]: ?
[C]: ?

$ lua5.3 -l prompt -i
lua5.3: error loading module 'prompt' from file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/prompt.so':
dlopen(/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/prompt.so, 6): Symbol not found: _rl_completion_suppress_append
  Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/prompt.so
  Expected in: dynamic lookup

stack traceback:
[C]: in ?
[C]: in function 'require'
[C]: in ?

$ luajit -l prompt -i
LuaJIT 2.0.2 -- Copyright (C) 2005-2013 Mike Pall. http://luajit.org/
luajit: error loading module 'prompt' from file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/prompt.so':
dlopen(/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/prompt.so, 6): Symbol not found: _luaL_setfuncs
  Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/prompt.so
  Expected in: dynamic lookup

stack traceback:
[C]: at 0x010001e14e
[C]: at 0x010001ddbb
[C]: at 0x0100001166

Based on what I'm seeing here, I'd guess that 5.1 (and by extension, jit) aren't supported, but you did explicitly mention that 5.3 is supported.

Under 5.3, it appears not to be loading readline; I manually passed the location to that library when I installed lauprompt (otherwise it just fails). Is this information not cached for runtime use?