On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 4:28 PM, Coda Highland <chighland@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 1:24 PM, Nagaev Boris <bnagaev@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> What ABOUT "numeral"? It means a symbol representing a digit or number
>>> as a noun, and it means pertaining to denoting a number as an
>>> adjective. In both cases it's about how a number is written, rather
>>> than how it's handled.
>>>
>>> /s/ Adam
>>>

>> Thank you! In Russian equivalent noun is "число". Maybe the closest
>> Russian adjective is "цифровой" (literally "digital").
>>

>> --
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Boris Nagaev
>>

> "Digit" is probably closer than "digital" at least for the noun sense.
> But technically the word "one" is a numeral even though it's not a
> digit -- it's a written representation of a number.
>
> /s/ Adam

My understanding as a native English speaker has been:

numeric = consisting entirely of numbers ("a numeric ID")
numerical = involving numbers ("some numerical process")
numeral = the written form of a single digit (e.g. 1 or one)
digital = technically means numerical, but more commonly taken to mean
"associated with computers"
digit = the symbols used to represent numbers (i.e. the symbols 0, 1,
2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9), though it's also valid to refer to the digits
of non-written numbers, e.g. "the third digit of my secret code is 4"
(and this example phrase also implies that said code is numeric, else
you'd say "third character" or (not really correctly) "third letter")
digit also = finger or thumb, but this is less common

Anyway, getting off topic now, but I hope that clears it up.

--
Sent from my Game Boy.