On 19 May 2015 at 03:44, Coda Highland <chighland@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 7:40 PM, Jay Carlson <nop@nop.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> This is explicitly counter to the stated goal of round-tripping the document.
>>
>> If you are an XML processor[1] there is nothing you can notice outside the Infoset.
>>
>> Jay
>>
>> [1]: “It’s sort of a limited existence.”
>
> All that means is that there are tools which operate on XML which are
> not XML processors.
>
> I'm okay with this. XML is a mess anyway.

So it would be ok to request a JSON processor that has to correctly
modify a JSON document while preserving things irrelevant to the data
- like whitespace, whether key names are quoted, and what kind of
quotes are used?

If a system has requirements for such a thing in its design, I'd
suggest there may be a flaw in that design[1].

Regards,
Matthew

[1]: I appreciate we don't always get to design the systems we have to
interop with...