There are many XML decoding libraries of varying degrees of capability and portability. The focus of these is decode.

Discussion of regenerating identical XML from the decode seems to get lost and particularly when the user has no idea of the XML meaning, simply wants to intercept textually known entities within a context.

I'm trying to do this where I need to hack values in XML as a fix for known disability in a major package, ie. a workaround.

FYI, outputting SVG provides a simple hack target, about recolouring interpolated colours when verbatim is needed. I'm highly amused that the nameless package involved is stated on various discussion sites as unable to draw filled polygons, which would be a solution. The SVG output is... filled polygons! You can't make this up.

Refer to ancient cartoon about the tree swing. So so true in IT.