Yes, there's no common application platform for lua, as node.js for _javascript_.

Openresty provides a web server platform for lua based on nginx, but there's no
suitable package manager for it.

Comparing to js, I like lua because of lexical scoping, true coroutine, simple and
consistent design, and without the ugly and strange parts of js. So I hope lua can
be used pervasively.

But js seems catching up, let scoping/module/generator/async function will
appear in the coming ES6.

Also lots of Lua code is developed as scripts for applications (like
WoW addons), and those don't interact with luarocks