On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 2:38 AM, zejian ju <juzejian@gmail.com> wrote:
Several days ago, I incidentally checked the numbers of 3rd party libraries
for node.js, python, ruby and lua. I was sad and puzzling about so small the
number of lua packages.

node.js npm packages:  146310 (https://www.npmjs.com/)
python pypi packages:  59223 (https://pypi.python.org/pypi)
ruby gems packages:    6348 (https://rubygems.org/gems)
lua luarocks packages: 957 (https://luarocks.org/modules)

For whatever reasons, I get the impression that rocks is "less official" in the Lua community than many of these other repos/package managers. Even CPAN, which at least started out completely unofficial quickly filled that niche. Maybe my impression is wrong, but I just feel like less people use rocks as their primary source of Lua packages (or conversely, the primary distribution mechanism for their code).

For more concrete context, Search github for "lua": https://github.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=lua

Search sourceforge for "lua": http://sourceforge.net/directory/?q=lua

Google code projects tagged with "Lua": https://code.google.com/hosting/search?q=label%3aLua

--