"You could point out its isomorphism to "English is the language of movies
and
everybody watches movies, so English is the only language which everybody
can
understand, that is why it beats German, French, Italian and other
languages."
A similar argument did not save Latin from being barbarized."

- Dirk Laurie

Is English the language of movies? Better would be "English is the language
of
Science (or Aviation, or Business), and since we have to learn it for those
purposes, we may as well make it the language of 'X' as well". So pretty
much
every programmer has to learn Javascript at some point for browser
programming
(and there is a good argument that all UI programming should be browser
programming). Given this, there follows a good argument for preferring it
over, say,
Lua or Python for other purposes as well. Neat systems like Node.js and even

the availability of Javascript on microcontroller chips:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gfw/espruino-pico-javascript-on-a-usb-s
tick

begin to make an unanswerable case, sadly.