On Feb 19, 2015 5:40 PM, "Thijs Schreijer" <thijs@thijsschreijer.nl> wrote:

> > I'm not getting the point, unless you are suggesting to redirect COM
> > links to TCP/IP and then using something like luasocket to perform
> > serial communication indirectly (which seems a bit overkill).
>
> That's what I meant. It's easier if you're used to sockets programming.

It's also easier if you plan to do stuff like timeouts. On serial connections, it's not inconceivable that line noise could create a stray octet; the usual nightmare is a "length" field for a record which is suddenly expecting a 64k packet. At some point you need to give up and try to resynchronize.

BTW, this is one of the things MIDI/Firmata is pretty decent about.

Jay